Monday, October 12, 2015

Growth Mindset Week 7

This past week, I have spent so many hours translating Julius Caesar's Commentaries on the Gallic Wars, that I have told more than one person that if I get my hands on a time machine, I intend to personally go back to assist Brutus in his plot. Yes, I am over reacting a little bit. You see, prior to Intermediate Latin Prose, I always sympathized with Caesar. I preferred to view him as an advocate for the common man than a power-focused tyrant. I'm beginning to see his works as more propaganda for leadership than I am genuine information, and man, do I hate his use of subordinate clauses -- even if I love using them myself.   However, in the spirit of growth mindset, positive thinking, and constant growth, I looked up inspirational quotes by Caesar in order to balance my perspective.

After a little searching, I found this: "Creating is the essence of life."

Okay, Caesar, I can relate to this! Innovating in tough situations, creating positive environments for others, and making efforts towards achieving goals are all things that I strive to do in life. Thank you for putting value in the little things!

Meme created using MakeAMeme.com
Always keeping me on my toes though, I discovered that the quote, in full, is actually this: "It is better to create than to learn! Creating in the essence of life!"

Once again, Julius Caesar and I are at a crossroads of understanding. To me, creating can lead to some of the greatest learning while learning can often open the doors to new forms of creation! This week, I am going to focus on growing through both -- and looking a little less like Grumpy Cat while doing my daily Latin translations. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment